Cheltenham

News & Group Updates

June 23, 2019

PARKING FOR BLUE BADGE MEMBERS

The Church has addressed this problem to the Council.

Consequently the Council have agreed to remove the restrictive Kerb markings outside the Library.

This now means that Blue Badge Holders can park in those spaces. Remember the road is now 2 Way and parking is not allowed directly outside the entrance to the church.

Di Kyte  U3A Social Secretary

 

June 23, 2019

Chairman’s Message July 2019

Chairman’s message

The year is already half way through. They say time goes much quicker the older you are, I can now agree, the first half of the year has flashed by.

Those who came to the last open meeting will have noticed that Clarence Street was being converted to 2 way traffic, resulting in markings on the pavement so that there would not be any parking for blue badge holders apart from the disabled parking box outside the library, which is restricted to one hour.  The Church has taken this up with the Council and it is going to be eased on the Library side of the road, so blue badge holders will be able to park on double yellow lines.  I am also very concerned that the nearest car park, which is behind the Library, has been closed, and only the part near the High Street left open.  If you feel strongly, as I do, that we need a car park at this end of town, can I suggest that as many of us as possible write to Cheltenham Borough Council, Car Parks Department and complain about the closure of this useful car park?

I am pleased to report that tickets are selling well for the Summer Tea Party and I would advise members to book up as soon as possible for Saturday 20th July, before they sell out.

Can I also encourage members to consider coming to the Special Interest Day being organised by Cotswold Link on Thursday 11th July, 2019 at The Pavilion in Hatherley Lane?  The theme this year is ‘Engineering the Future’, which is quite an exciting change from last year.  I already have my tickets and am looking forward to it very much.  I think you will find there will be something of interest for most people.  Details for booking were in the May/June newsletter and should be in this one as well.

As I have said before, members are welcome to contact me preferably by email, but phone if necessary with any queries etc.

Maggie Conu  ([email protected])

Contact: Maggie Conu

June 19, 2019

MOTO Group

MOTO GROUP

The next meeting will be as follows:

WEDNESDAY, 3rd JULY, 2019

ST MATTHEWS CHURCH, Clarence Street, 10.30 am

Please bring your current U3A membership card and £2.50 cover charge plus ideas and suggestions for future events

We look forward to welcoming you there

June 14, 2019

MOTO Group

There will be two events taking place in June that we hope you will attend:

1. Wednesday, 19th June, 11am. A coffee morning at Cafe Zest on the first floor of Cavendish House.

2. Sunday 30th June, 11am A visit to Wyevale Garden Centre, Evesham Road, GL50 4SJ. There is parking on site and a bus stop outside, but please check for Sunday service details before travelling.

Please contact either Marie Newman or Sue Graham for further details.

May 24, 2019

Boules Summer Notes

May 2019

Boules (Petanque)

The group continues to flourish.  We meet on Monday and Wednesday mornings in Sandford Park, prepared for games to start at 10:00 a.m.

The most popular playing season is during the spring and summer, but we are a hardy lot, and there were those who wanted to continue playing, braving chillier weather so some of  the group continued to play throughout the winter.

We took the bold move to enter the local Cotswold Petanque League.  This means that those who want to, can now play in competition against the players from the best boules clubs in the area.  It means that we also get to play on different surfaces, which is a very satisfying experience for the team members.  Our performance so far has justified our entry, but winning the final this year is unlikely!

For those who want to emphasise the social nature of the group, a day of play and picnic is being organised soon, so we can enjoy a melee and a meal, in the park.

Some of the group are now confident enough to buy their own boules, which frees up the U3A boules for use by newcomers.  We continue to be able to equip all players with boules and jacks, so members should not feel discouraged about coming to try out the game.

Several of us will be attending the next Members on Their Own meeting, to assess whether a special taster game is appropriate.  This may grow into a regular feature for MOTO group members.

Nigel Gilhead

 

Contact: Nigel Gilhead

May 17, 2019

MOTO Group

MOTO (Members on their own) GROUP

The next meeting will be as follows:

WEDNESDAY 5th JUNE, 2019

ST MATTHEWS CHURCH, Clarence Street, 10.30am

Please bring your current U3A membership card and £2.50 cover charge together with any ideas for future group events

We still need more of you to assist with the administration of this group, so please let me know if you can help in any way

We look forward to welcoming you there

May 14, 2019

Genetic Genealogy

Proposed New Group on Genetic Genealogy

This will be a group for those who have taken a DNA test and wish to share computational techniques and tools

for exploiting and analysing the results to help their family history research.

The first meeting will take place on Thursday 25th July at 2pm at the leader’s home, subsequent monthly meetings will be

arranged to suit attendees.

Please contact Lynne Macedo [email protected] for further information.

Contact: Lynne Macedo

May 14, 2019

Health and Safety Member

Your committee are seeking a member with experience of Health and Safety or prepared to learn.  We need someone to check meeting places to make sure they are safe for our members and report back to the committee

Contact: Maggie Conu

April 25, 2019

From the Chairman

COMMITTEE MEMBER NEEDED

 We wish to co-opt an extra Committee member to assist Lynne Macedo in her role as Group Co-ordinator. This will involve supporting the organisation of existing groups and helping her to start new groups.

Please contact Maggie Conu for further information.

Contact: Maggie Conu

April 23, 2019

Chairman’s Message May 2019

Chairman’s message

I am writing this while gazing out of my window onto a garden full of daffodils, tulips and many other spring flowers; it is so uplifting for the spirit and makes me feel that we are heading for better weather.

We have now had our AGM and have a new committee, hopefully full of ideas to keep Cheltenham U3A as one of the best. If you have any ideas for events, groups or any improvements, please let me know. Lynne Macedo will be taking over as Groups Co-ordinator as well as continuing to be Vice Chair. Purvi Shah will continue to be Treasurer. Marion Collighan has taken over as Meetings Secretary and will combine this with the role of Business Secretary. Malcolm Baker will be Special Projects Officer. Gerry Mcallister will continue as membership secretary and our Beacon administrator. Di Kyte will start her second year as Social Secretary. Cate Hemingway will take on the role of Inclusivity and will be looking at how we can encourage diversity in our membership and improve access to our meetings and activities for members with disabilities. Keep reading HERE…….

 

Contact: Maggie Conu